See a great deal of new and old Toyota car and truck content at the rest of Toyoland!

1994 toyota tercel
Read 3738 times
April 30, 2007, 9:55 PM
I have a manual transmission and my brake lights always stay on. I've tried releasing the emergency brake but the only way is to disconnect the battery cable. anyone had this problem???

thank you
marlene

May 1, 2007, 2:11 AM#1
Its the switch, most likely - the one underneath the NROMAL brake assuming you mean the brake lights in the back of the car. If you mean the brake light in the dashboard it could be a low pressure warning or a bad e-brake switch or lots of other things... check the fluid levels, test the system, etc.

May 1, 2007, 7:06 PM#2
thank you.

yes, they are the brakes light in the back of the car and not the dash.

we removed the carpeting and looked under the brake pedal but could not find anything that remotely looks like a switch. is there a website that I can look up to find where the switch may be located for that particular model?

a neighbor saw us out there last night and suggested that the master cylinder may need replacing. do you know of any way to tell if the master cylinder is bad?

I remember having it replaced on another car and it was a $500 repair bill.

no fun at all.

thanks,
marlene

May 1, 2007, 7:37 PM#3
The switch is usually not below the carpet. The metal bracket that the brake pedal is attached to usually presses against the switch. Normally the switch is not attached to the moving parts but is pressed when the moving parts touch it. It might remain in contact but it is usually part of the unmoving sections...

HomeSearch|

This Toyota-focused site copyright © 2000-2022 Zatz LLC.