See a great deal of new and old Toyota car and truck content at the rest of Toyoland!

1993 Corolla, has intermittent starting
Read 2206 times
August 9, 2010, 5:48:54 PM
When the Ignition is turned on the car may or may not start. If you move the shifter back and fourth a few times, then I can get the car to start. Does anyone have clue to what is the malfunction, Please.

August 9, 2010, 6:12:29 PM
You said it yourself pretty much. Its the Park interlock switch - the thing that only lets you start from Park or Neutral.

August 9, 2010, 7:10:38 PM
I understand the park interlock switch; however, when the ignition is engaged and it is in park, it does not start. It is when you move the shifter from P to 1 and back to P, then you might get it to start. in this case not always.

August 10, 2010, 6:53:56 PM
Have you tried starting it in neutral? What is the frequency of getting it started in park after moving the shifter around, more than 50% chance? Have you noticed the behavior being temperature dependant, happens more often when hot, cold, after running the car for a while, etc.? Do you notice if the shift indicator is offset from the positions on the shifter (ie., shift into park, but both park and reverse are illuminated)?

Sounds like an intermittent electrical connection with the park/neutral position switch or even the ignition switch itself (moving the shifter and having it start up afterwards could be a coincidence). Could be as simple as a loose connection on the position switch or the switch needing an adjustment (the lever arm has shifted off of the "neutral" line that is on the switch body).

August 15, 2010, 7:54:06 PM
I clean the positive battery post, which had a little corrosion build up, but not enough to cause a vehicle not to start; however, the vehicle does not seem to have a problem starting, after the cleaning.

This Toyota-focused site copyright © 2000-2022 Zatz LLC.