See a great deal of new and old Toyota car and truck content at the rest of Toyoland!

Camry 2.2 Engine replacement
Read 4585 times
* July 03, 2007, 06:13:21 PM
Hi,  I\'m new to the forum and to Toyotas in general.  

I have a relative who owns a \'97 Camry with a 2.2 auto that they purchased used several years ago.  More recently, the engine failed due to a spun bearing. (I am receivign all this info over the phone).  He claims their mechanic told them that this particular Camry was manufactured with a California-spec engine (we are in MD) and that the replacement block must also be CA-spec.

As I said, I am relatively new to Toyotas, but from my experience with other makes, the California specific equipment would normally be emissions stuff and other bolt-ons, but the long block (or at the very least, the short block) should be the same as other 2.2 Camry engines of that vintage.  Correct?  The mechanic has told them that the CA engines are very difficult to get a hold of and had quoted them $7000 for the repair job (don\'t get me started on this mechanic).  I\'ve looked on e-bay and I\'ve seen several rebuilt 2.2 long blocks for around $1200 and even a few used but running engines for less than that.  None of the auctions make mention of California being a factor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

* July 04, 2007, 05:44:14 PM
On some cars - there are significant differences with both emission control equipment and sometimes physical differences in the short block (different casting) - but from what I remember on the 5S-FE on the Camry of that vintage - there was no difference between the CA spec and Federal spec cars - engine, pollution control, and ECM programming-wise.  It was all with warranty issues on the pollution control equipment.

I\'m with you on this - at the very least, you should be able to swap just the long block, very least the short block to take care of the bearing and other possible issues - pollution control equipment can be transferred from the old engine and be a done deal.

I\'d ask for a second opinion on that - as you can pick up a \"CA-spec\" halfcut for atleast half what they quoted you.  Sounds a little \"fishy\" to me - I\'d dump this mechanic.

* October 06, 2011, 02:27:24 AM
After replacing no less than 100  Camry engines,  I can surely say that first off,  a quote of $7000 dollars for an engine better come with about 3 cars attached to them!!!  2nd and more importantly,  The California Spec cars and Non Cal Cars are basicly exactly the same.  Only some minor venting to the gas tanks are different.  Engines are totally interchangeable.  Good luck on your repair.

Site created and maintained by David Zatz. He has written four car books.