See a great deal of new and old Toyota car and truck content at the rest of Toyoland!

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Toyota! (and Lexus and Scion) / Re: p0440 code on an 01 Camry, 6 cyl.,88051 mi.
« Last post by toyodave on October 04, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »
You\'re ONLY getting code 440? Because that\'s normally the \"loose gas cap\" code which could also indicate a leak in the evaporative emissions system (the fuel tank vapor recovery system). Leaks in that are not all that uncommon after nine years but ... could also just be a bad gas cap. Where are they getting these other sensors from? Did they fail the state test somehow though the only code showing up is 440?

(OBD II computer code list)
Toyota! (and Lexus and Scion) / p0440 code on an 01 Camry, 6 cyl.,88051 mi.
« Last post by littljuan on October 03, 2010, 05:23:52 PM »
Went to get smogged and this code, P0440, kicked out. Ck\'d engine and found a few minors. Cleared code, drove 80 to 100 miles, and failed another smog due to 2 monitors not resetting. I have had it diag\'d and been told I could need a new tank, or an ECM, or an o2 sensor. The tech also wants to \"smoke ck\" the car for leaks.  Why not throw a dart? The car is a gem without any history except starting and running fine.  Any experienced answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.   TL
Need a bit more details - looking to swap just the engine or the engine and transaxle from the 2001 car?  What transaxle is in the 2001 car - 3-speed auto, 4-speed auto, 5-speed standard?  

Assuming you are swapping both the engine and transaxle, as long as you swap over the electronics (ECM, wiring harness, etc.) - this is a doable swap.  Many cases, owners have swapped in \"newer\" 1ZZ-FE engines to replace earlier ones with little to no issue.  Fortunately, most of the hard parts - mounts, exhaust locations, etc. can be reused.  So little to no fabrication is needed there.

If you are just swapping the engine from a car that had a 4-speed, would be a little more complicated, as there are interconnections between the engine and transaxle and ECM.  It can still be done, but you\'ll need to get your hands on the factory service manual and be comfortable with rewiring the harness.

Another option is to swap in just the short block (everything from below the cylinder heads).  In that case, the engines are nearly identical - so no need to swap the ECM or wiring harness.  But this assumes that the rest of the original engine is in good running condition (ie, old engine was consuming a lot of motor oil).
Toyota! (and Lexus and Scion) / Re: 1995 Toyota Corolla wont accelerate past 45mph
« Last post by toyodave on September 22, 2010, 04:26:07 PM »
You don\'t need to go to the dealer to get the OBDII readout; many car-parts stores do them for free, and you may have a friend with the required gizmo (I have one, for example).
Toyota! (and Lexus and Scion) / Re: 1995 Toyota Corolla wont accelerate past 45mph
« Last post by fishexpo101 on September 22, 2010, 04:12:25 PM »
Could be an issue with ignition system (sparkplugs, wires, cap and rotor, coil, etc.)  When was the last time you got a comprehensive tuneup?

Verified that the transaxle is actually shifting gears?  2nd gear should let you run it out to 60 MPH @ 3000 RPMs - assuming it is the 3-speed automatic, for a 4-speed - 3rd geear at 60 MPH @ 3000 RPMs.  If it is not shifting, could be related to the coolant temperature sensor.

Can you describe in a bit more detail exactly what is happening at 45MPH?  Does the car just refuse to go faster?  Is they any unusual sounds, vibrations, etc.?
I have a crashed 2001 corolla and a 1999 with a bad engine. I want to install the engine from the 2001 into the 1999 . Is there a way to swap the entire brains and all to make it work??
thx
Blobyu
« Last post by Neonix on September 19, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
No, I haven\'t taken it to mechanic yet. I was hoping on researching a \"do it yourself\" solution..(which is becoming more and more unlikely).
Thank you for the advice. I may have to call the Toyota dealership to see if I can persuade them to run a free diagnostics.
« Last post by toyodave on September 19, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »
Did you scan the computer for error codes? A 1995 model should be OBDII compliant, I think, so any generic scanner would work.
Toyota! (and Lexus and Scion) / 1995 Toyota Corolla wont accelerate past 45mph
« Last post by Neonix on September 18, 2010, 06:57:24 PM »
I have a 1995 Toyota Corolla. Yesterday I noticed that the car would not accelerate past 45 mph. I have no indications of engine problems (engine light, oil light) etc.
 I checked all my fluids and disconnected the battery to reset the computer. Nothing worked.
I accelerate to 45 mph without a problem. It\'s not sluggish and it doesn\'t backfire, so I suspect the fuel pump/pressure is good.
With no dashboard warning light to point me in the right direction, and no leaks or other indicators EXCEPT for problems getting past 45 mph...I have no idea what to do next. I even tried manually shifting the car into D3 (which is third gear???) to see if the tansmission is not shifting...but I don\'t believe thats the case either, because if it didn\'t shift past the low gears, my RPMs would be in the red from me trying to push it past 45 mph.

Any help is appreciated.

V/R
Marc Biron
marcbiron@yahoo.com
Toyota! (and Lexus and Scion) / Re: trim level of camry 96
« Last post by toyodave on September 07, 2010, 11:14:06 AM »
You beat me to it!

The build sheet... not sure where Toyota puts those but other companies shove them behind the glove compartment or on the underside of the seats. Honestly I haven\'t seen a build sheet on a new car made after 1991.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Site created and maintained by David Zatz. He has written four car books.