Register

See a great deal of new and old Toyota car and truck content at the rest of Toyoland!

Gas Struts for 2007 Matrix
Read 866 times
* July 31, 2010, 12:47:25 PM
I have a 2007 Matrix and both gas struts that lift the hatchback lid went bad.  The dealer wanted $150.00 eack plus installation.  I found OEM replacements on line and these items just snap in.  Why sooooo much mark-up?

* August 03, 2010, 03:35:13 PM
Much of that cost is exactly that - dealer markup.  There might be some build quality differences as well - depending on who made the gas struts.

What I\'ve found is that you could get the exact struts (brand, make, part number) that the OEM uses for considerably less, but doesn\'t have the right ends on it.  Or you can get an aftermarket one with the ends, but be a slightly different part.  Of course the ends are not easily interchangeable.

Also have to think about online shops - they generally don\'t have to stock any of these parts - most have a list of vendors that they deal with and the vendors will drop ship that produce to you - hence the savings is past onto the consumer.

2002 Corolla S, Silverstream, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE (VVT-i)
2003 Matrix XRS, Cosmic Blue, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE (VVTL-i) - RIP
2009 Matrix XRS, Blue Streak, 2.4L 2AZ-FE (VVT-i)

* August 09, 2010, 06:16:16 PM
Many dealers charge a 100%+ markup - some routinely charge 30% over list and I\'ve even seen DOUBLE list. Online dealers often sell parts at a 25% discount from list. They still have a huge markup over cost.

But of course if you supply the parts to the dealer, even Toyota parts, you take the risk -- if the part fails later Toyota may cover the cost of the part but NOT the labor. That\'s part of why dealer markup is high. The other part is greed and \"because they can.\" There\'s no competition within the dealership - once you\'re there, there\'s only one parts department.

My personal site: https://dave.zatz.us

Site created and maintained by David Zatz. He has written four car books.