Register

See a great deal of new and old Toyota car and truck content at the rest of Toyoland!

87 Camry check engine light On question about what makes light come on?
Read 910 times
* March 30, 2010, 04:56:51 AM
Hello,
I have a 87 Camry 2.0 5 speed with 169k on it.  The car has a check engine light that comes on after a few minutes of driving it seems to be on a timer as it comes on after a couple of minutes not right away.  I need some help here as this is a older car.  What makes/triggers the check engine light to come on in a 87 Camry and what can I do to find out what is the problem?  Also I might add I saw a diagnosis plug near the battery under the hood I was wondering where can I get a device that will plug in there and let me know what the light means?  I guess I should 1st ask do they make a device like that for such a older diagnosis system on that car?  
Also is there a code system on that car like on my Honda where I can find out what that engine light means? Thanks so much for the help as I have no clue what to do 1st here or how to find out what is going on.
Dave

* March 31, 2010, 05:33:10 PM
You need to jumper pins TE1 and E1 to enable the onboard computer to retrieve the codes.  From that point, you are counting the flashes of the check engine light to extract the codes.  They do make a handheld scanner for OBD-I cars, but they don\'t always work correctly.

More information can be found online - just search for Toyota and OBD-I.

As for what is going on - could be nearly anything.  Not coming on right away just indicates that there is multitrip error detection.  Most CEL codes need more than one failure event to cause the check engine lamp to come on.  That latency makes it appear that the CEL is \"timed\" to come on.  Have to pull the code to find out what is going on.

2002 Corolla S, Silverstream, 1.8L 1ZZ-FE (VVT-i)
2003 Matrix XRS, Cosmic Blue, 1.8L 2ZZ-GE (VVTL-i) - RIP
2009 Matrix XRS, Blue Streak, 2.4L 2AZ-FE (VVT-i)

* April 01, 2010, 01:59:38 AM
Thanks very much for that info I will look into this.  I did not know that they made a scanner for that old of a car good to know I will google it later thanks again.
Dave

Site created and maintained by David Zatz. He has written four car books.