See a great deal of new and old Toyota car and truck content at the rest of Toyoland!

a245e transmission does it have a diff that uses 90wt gear oil instead of atf
Read 2497 times
* October 30, 2009, 03:12:19 AM
Hi everyone,

First of all i am new to this forum and I would like to say hello. I have a 2006 corolla s with a a245e automatic transmission. I serviced the transmission fluid this week and before doing it i did a little research. I used the correct fluid which is the t-iv. I read somewhere i\'m not sure where  that this model transmission has a seperate diff that needs to be serviced also, and that it uses 80-90 gear oil. It suposely is not lube by the atf. Is this correct? If so where are the drain and fill plugs for the diff? I have looked around but have not found them. I would like to solved this mystery. thanks everyone in advance.

* October 30, 2009, 04:22:32 PM
Hello and Welcome to the forum.

You are correct, that some transaxles from Toyota have two separate reservoirs for fluid.  But in your case, the 2006 Corolla has only a single reservoir for the ATF - you have the correct type - Toyota Type T-IV ATF.  Both the transaxle and differential are serviced by the single drain plug on the bottom of the transaxle pan and both refilled via the dipstick.  If you got those taken care of already, then you are good to go.

* October 31, 2009, 12:12:08 AM
Thank you for the welcome fishexpo101. Thank you also for the information on the transmission. I was a little concerned about the diff, I drive a lot and keep my cars well maintained. I do most of the work myself to save money and to keep in practice. I was a mechanic for a few years and even went to a trade school for it. But as luck would have it I injured my back and could not keep working in that field. I have though use what i learned in school for my person cars, motorcycles and other machinery. Even though i can\'t work as a mechanic, I do have the knowlege and I am passing it on to others.  Thanks again for your help.

Site created and maintained by David Zatz. He has written four car books.