See a great deal of new and old Toyota car and truck content at the rest of Toyoland!

07 Corolla S Engine ticking
Read 5533 times
* January 02, 2007, 03:18:40 AM
I recently purchased this vehicle and I have noticed after the vehicle warms up, and I roll down the window at idle, the engine seems to have a \'ticking\' noise. Has anyone else noticed the same? Is this a common noise, or something that I should be concerned with?

* January 02, 2007, 10:48:40 PM
The 1ZZ-FE engine in the Corollas (1998+) are known to be \"noisy\" engines.  That\'s because they use a timing chain instead of a timing belt.  

As long as the noise tends to subside as the gas pedal is applied - then you shoud be in good shape.  If the noise gets worse as you press down on the gas pedal - this could indicate that the gasoline is too low in octane and is detonating (knocking) or there is something wrong with the VVT-i valve timing mechanism.

Sometimes switching to a different brand or type of motor oil can help - some have reported good luck with synthetics over conventional motor oils.  Some had the problem worsen with synthetics.  Just make sure the oil is of the correct viscosity (5w-30) and the API class is at least a SM category or better (SL(2004 spec) and SJ (2001 spec) oils can still be found on shelves and should NOT be used).

* April 18, 2007, 08:28:27 AM
About a month ago ( 1500 miles ), I purchased a Corolla CE. After driving 30 miles/ 30 minutes to work I noticed the same sort of ticking noise. I was concerned enough to pop the hood and check the oil, and check it again before heading home. Oil level was right on the mark. ( I was feeling paranoid after discovering that the dealership had inflated the tires to 45+ lbs instead of 30. )

I decided, as has already been suggested, to go with a synthetic oil at 5000 miles. I was lucky to hit a buy one get one free sale and bought three changes worth.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Hoping to join the 200K club in about, oh, 8 years!

* June 04, 2007, 01:02:43 AM
Thicking noise is very common on these cars, as you accelerate the noise should go away. You don\'t need me to tell you that Corolla is one of the best cars ever build, so if I were you I wouldn\'t worry too much. Some of my customers have expressed concerns like that and I normally recomend synthetic oil or some kind of oil stabilizer (like Lucas brand) Try that and see what happens.

* June 11, 2007, 01:58:57 AM
Ive got a 2006 Corolla S and ive also heard the ticking noise, its a new car so im not worried since it still gots the warranty..but i could be low octane gas (GAS PRICES!! DONT BLAME YOUR SELF FOR GETTING THE CHEAPEST!) or your oil. But it seems unlikely to be the oil because i did my oil change with Castrol 5w-40w and i was short a quart, but i goofed and got a quart of 10w-50w ( the bottles look the same!!) and nothing happened.

Look these are Japanese built engines...best in the market.
My cousin is an Engineer for Dodge and he attended a meeting with Toyota engineers and they ran a Dodge motor and a Toyota motor, both with out oil just factory lubed (sorry guys he was not specific on what type of motors they were) until one popped. The dodge was the first to go after about an hour... the Toyota one last around three...im not BS you guys, thats what he told me and i believe it. So RJMAT dont worry...you got the best in the market. ^_^

* June 11, 2007, 01:43:50 PM
OK... so we\'ll take it on your word that your cousin is telling the truth, and ignore the fact that both companies make a variety of completely different engines...none designed to work without oil.

* June 16, 2007, 01:12:23 AM
Yeah...pretty much.

Site created and maintained by David Zatz. He has written four car books.